Academy of Medical Sciences Springboard Round 8
The Academy of Medical Sciences (AMS) has launched Springboard – Round 8, which aims to support newly independent biomedical scientists to launch their research careers. This scheme is targeted at those who have not yet obtained substantial research funding support from other sources, such as large research grants or large fellowships. Candidates in receipt of substantial funding may be deemed not in the spirit of the scheme.
The Academy encourages Springboard applicants from a broad diversity of biomedical research areas (from molecular, cellular and structural biology to anatomical, physiological, psychological, epidemiological and public health research areas). Applicants may use experimental or theoretical approaches and be undertaking everything from basic laboratory research through clinical application to healthcare delivery, as long as the work reflects the Academy’s mission to improve human health through research.
This scheme includes funding of up to £100,000 over two years and access to the Academy’s acclaimed mentoring and career development programme.
To be eligible to apply candidates must:
- Hold a research post or academic post that incorporates research
- Be in a first independent (salaried) position (i.e. group-leader level, line-managed not supervised)
- For more information on how independence is evaluated, please check page 3 of the guidance document, under ‘Current post’.
- Be within 5 years (FTE) of appointment to this position
- Candidates that are in a second independent position but can prove it is a side-ways step and not a promotion may be eligible. For more information, please check page 3 of the guidance document, under ‘Current post’.
- Have sufficient time remaining in the current post to complete the proposed Springboard project
- Be based within one of the eligible higher education institutions, including the University of Cambridge
And must not:
- Hold a clinical contract
- Be in receipt of over £150,000 during the award period (excluding personal salary, overheads or indirect costs) as Principal or Co-Investigator
- Hold any of the following fellowships (or equivalent):
- Cancer Research UK (CRUK) Career Development Fellowship
- CRUK Career Establishment Award
- Medical Research Council (MRC) – Career Development Award
- UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) Future Leaders Fellowship
- Wellcome Trust Royal Society Sir Henry Dale Fellowship
- Wellcome Trust Seed Award
For further details please check:
University Internal Selection
Institutions can only submit four applications to this scheme. Therefore, this call will be managed according to the University’s restricted calls procedure.
To take part in the internal selection process please submit the following to email@example.com by 5 April 2022:
- The internal selection form (attached);
- A CV (including a list of publications) – max 2 pages;
- A support letter from the Head of the Department / Centre / Institute that will hold the grant, confirming their support for the project and agreement to host the grant;
- If the application is a re-submission, please include the e-mail with the AMS feedback invitation to resubmit and please address the reviewer’s comments (please note only that one re-submission is permitted).
- 4 May 2022 (by 12 noon): deadline for the University Research Strategy Office to notify AMS of the four selected applicants.
- 16 June 2022 (by 4pm): deadline for the selected applicants to submit their applications to the AMS.
Posted on 07/03/2022